Nepal Visa Information
Tourist who intends to visit Nepal must hold valid passport and visa.
a. Entry : - Tourist entry visa can be obtained for the following duration from Nepalese Embassy or Consulate or other mission offices or at the following immigration offices in Nepal.
- Immigration Office, Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu
- Immigration Office, Kakarvitta, Jhapa (Eastern Nepal)
- Immigration Office, Birganj, Parsa (Central Nepal)
- Immigration Office, Kodari, Sindhupalchowk (Northern Border)
- Immigration Office, Belahia, Bhairahawa (Rupandehi, Western Nepal)
- Immigration Office, Jamunaha, Nepalgunj (Banke, Mid Western Nepal)
- Immigration Office, Mohana, Dhangadhi (Kailali, Far Western Nepal)
- Immigration Office, Gadda Chauki, Mahendranagar (Kanchanpur, Far Western Nepal)
1. Visa fee for visitors who enter Nepal for the first time in a visa year (Jan-Dec): Duration Fee Single entry 60 days from the date of entry US$ 30 or equivalent convertible foreign currency
2. Multiple entry facility can be obtained paying additional US$ 50 or equivalent convertible foreign currency. The facility will be valid for a visa year (Jan-Dec) if the visa period is valid.
b. Tourist Visa Extension:- A tourist visa can be extended upto 120 days from the Department of Immigration in Kathmandu and Pokhara Immigration Office on request. Thereafter an additional 30 days can be extended from Department of Immigration ensuring that tourist visa cannot be extended more than 150 days.
1. Tourist visa extension fee for 30 days :- US$ 30 in equivalent Nepalese currency.
2. Tourist visa extension with multiple entry facility :- Multiple entry facility can be obtained paying additional US$ 50 or equivalent convertible foreign currency. The facility will be valid for a visa year (Jan-Dec) if the visa period is valid.
3. Late fee for not applying extension in time :- - US in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for the first 30 days. - US in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for the next 31 to 90 days. - US in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for more than 90 days.
4. Gratis visa :-
- Children below 10 yrs . - Dependants up to the age of 16 years, holding foreign passports of Nepalese parents or either of their parent being a Nepalese citizen.
- Citizen of Nepali origin, after having obtained passport for the first time from a Nepal based foreign mission, until the period of his departure to a foreign country.
- Citizens of member countries of South Asian association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) and the people's Republic of china.
- Any foreigner, who has lived in Nepal up to fifteen (15) days continuously, re-entering Nepal during the same visa year.
- Any foreigner, tourist entering into Nepal for three days or less than that.
Some Important information to tourist :
Don't or Do's
- A tourist may stay in Nepal up to 150 days in a visa year (Jan-Dec).
- A tourist must extend his/her visa before expiry of the visa validity period. A tourist who does not comply with these regulations may be liable of fine and other prosecution as provided in Immigration Act and Rules.
- A Foreigner having obtained tourist visa shall not be allowed to work with or without receiving remuneration.
- A foreigner shall not be allowed to carry out any work other than that for which purpose s/he has obtained the visa.
Non Tourist Visa
Who may apply : Following foreigners and their family members may apply for this
- Foreigners involved in the social and economic development works approved by Nepal Government, under the expenses to be borne by governmental institutions of the foreign friendly nations;
- Foreigners having obtained recommendation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to work in the institutions run by the foreign missions located in Nepal,
- Foreign representatives having obtained recommendation from the Ministry of Information and Communications to work in foreign newspapers and news agencies,
- Foreigners having obtained recommendation from the concerned Ministry to act as helpers of the foreigners having obtained diplomatic or official visas,
- Foreigners having obtained approval from His Majesty's Government to work on remuneration basis in any firm, company, association, industry or enterprise within the Kingdom of Nepal,
- Foreigners having obtained recommendation from the Ministry concerned to work in any international airlines organization located in the Kingdom of Nepal,
- Foreign importer visiting Nepal from third country on the recommendation of foreign governmental agency or Federation of Industries or Chamber of Commerce of Foreign Country,
- Foreigners who have marital relation with the citizens of Nepal and furnish the marriage registration certificate. If any foreigner of Nepali origin or a foreign passport holder issue of a Nepalese father or mother is to come to Nepal to visit any relatives.
- Foreigners who come to Nepal to work, on the recommendation of the concerned Ministry pursuant to an agreement or understanding agreed upon at governmental or non governmental level,
- Foreigners having obtained recommendation of the concerned Ministry to conduct feasibility study of an industry or enterprise for a period not exceeding 6 months.
- Group leader of the foreigners making application, accompanied by the recommendation of the Ministry concerned, for making the tourists' tour in group in Nepal.
- Such Foreigners as may be thought fit by Government of Nepal.
What is needed to apply :
- Recommendation from the concerned Ministry or Department.
- Work permit (for the employees) .
- Six Copies of application forms with photographs.
- A copy of passport including the copy of last Nepalese Visa.
- A marriage certificate from the concerned authority to obtain NT visa on the grounds of marriage.
- A relation certificate from the competent authority to obtain NT Visa on the grounds of relation.
- Valid Press identity card issued from Department of Information.
- Duration : Up to one year at one time (can be extended)
Issuing Authority :
- For the category (g) mentioned above - Nepalese Embassy or Permanent Diplomatic Missions located in the foreign country or Director General, Department of Immigration.
- For all others - Department of Immigration Fee :
- For journalist status Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 10 per month.
- For marriage status Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 10 per month.
- For Chinese worker of category (a) having work permit, - Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 20 per month.
- For the status of all other categories if otherwise not mentioned - Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 60 per month for the first year and US$ 100 per month for succeeding year.
Who may apply?:
Following foreign students, research scholars, teachers and their family members who want to study, teach or conduct research works in any educational institute having obtained the approval of Nepal Govt.
What is needed to apply?:
The applicants should produce :
- Recommendation letter from the Ministry of Education and Sports of Nepal.
- Bank encashment receipt or bank balance equivalent to US$ 3,000 per year or US$ 250 per month for applicants and US$ 2,000 for each family members.
- Six copies of application forms with photographs.
- One photocopy of passport including the copy of last Nepalese visa.
Duration : Up to one year, however, it can be extended for the period of research or academic year.
Issuing Authority :
Department of Immigration Fee :
- For Srilankan students Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 9 per month or 7500.00 Srilankan Rupees per year.
- For Bangladeshi students Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 15 per year, with multiple re-entry .
- For Maldivian students Neplaese currency equivalent to US $ 5 per month.
- For Pakistani students Nepalese currency equivalent to US $ 15 per year for single entry and US per year for multiple entry facility.
- For the study visa except mentioned above, Nepalese currency equivalent to US $ 40 per month.
Who may apply :
The business visa shall be granted to the following foreigners and their family members on the recommendation of concerned agency:
- Foreigners having obtained license to make investment in any business or industrial enterprise within the Kingdom of Nepal or authorised representatives of such business or industrial enterprise.
- Foreigners having obtained license to invest to carry on export trade from the Kingdom of Nepal.
- Foreigners visiting Nepal from third country who export goods manufactured in Nepal through purchase or who place a purchase order for export
What is needed to apply : -
License certificate to make investment in any business or industrial enterprise in the kingdom of Nepal.
- Recommendation from the concerned Ministry/ Department.
- Six copies of application forms with photographs.
- A copy of passport including the last Nepalese visa.
Duration : Up to five years at one time. But the stay in Nepal is valid for 90 days only at a time.
Issuing authority : Department of Immigration
Visa Fee : US$ 100 for one year with multiple re-entry and US$ 250 for five years with multiple re-entry.
Who may apply? :
Following foreigners and their family intending to spend life in the Kingdom of Nepal shall be granted the resindential visa.
- Persons with international reputation,
- Persons capable of rendering outstanding contribution to the economic, social and cultural growth of the Kingdom of Nepal,
- Persons who have renounced the citizenship of Nepal and hold foreign passport with or without having obtained foreign citizenship and intend to settle down in Nepal,
- Persons making investment of at least one million American Dollars at on time, in an industrial enterpise of Nepal,
- Any foreigner intending to spend life in the Kingdom of Nepal without carrying on any business.
What is needed to apply? :
Six copies of application forms with photographs.
Registration certificate of the industrial enterprise.
A copy of passport.
A copy of last Nepalese visa (if any).
Bank statement showing expenses equivalent to US$ 20,000.00 per year and
Health certificate ( only for those foreigners who are interested to settle down in Nepal, but are not engaged in any business).
No objection letter from consulate or embassy of their country.
Recommendation from Ministry of Home of Nepal.
Character Certificate from consulate, embassy or the Goverment of their country or the Nepalese Authority( for those who have stayed in Nepal in other visa).
Where should the application be submitted? :
Royal Nepalese Diplomatic Missions or Embassy abroad. - Department of Immigration in Nepal.
Issuing Authority :
Department of Immigration with the approval from His Majesty's Government of Nepal.
Renewal Authority :
Department of Immigration.
Note : According to the Immigration Regulation, the term family include husband, wife, father, mother and dependent son and daughter.
Who may apply? :
The official visa shall be granted to the persons considered fit by His Majesty's Government and their family and to the following foreigners and their family upon recommendation of the concerned diplomatic mission:
- Administrative, Technical and non-diplomatic officials serving in a residential or non-residential diplomatic missions, Consulate for Nepal and incumbent Nepalese honorary Consul Generals, Consuls and their family who visit Nepal from a foreign country.
- Consultant experts who stay in Nepal under an agreement with his Majesty's Government,
- Employees serving in the Nepal based offices of the United Nations or its agencies and the persons holding the laissez passez granted by the United Nations.
- Employees serving in the international institutions or regional organizations located in Nepal.
Issuing Authority : Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Provided, however, that the diplomatic missions of His Majesty's Government of Nepal or the Immigration offices at the entry point may issue the official visa (as an entry visa for a period of 30 days).
Provisional Visa Arrangements
- In cases where it takes time to make recommendation for the study, non-tourist and business visa, the concerned ministry may, upon assigning the said reason, make recommendation for the provisional study, non-tourist and business visa for a period not exceeding three months.
- In cases where it takes time for a foreigner to submit the marriage registration certificate to get a non-tourist visa on martial relation ground, the Department may, on the basis of the recommendation of the authority or the Embassy of the concerned country, issue the provisional non-tourist visa for a period not exceeding three months. Travel Permit Document The Department may issue the travel permits to those foreigners who are not able to obtain new passports due the loss, deface, or expiry of the term thereof or due to any other reasons, in order to enable them to return to their home countries. Provided, however, that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall issue such permit in the case of the person holding diplomatic and official passport.